Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Our First Ultrasound

I went in for an early ultrasound because I had been experiencing some symptoms that had me worried. Having been through a loss I will be honest I get a little... Ok a lot... Worried at the beginning as it is.

Anyway.. After being worried for a few days they get me in for an ultrasound.  Kevin had to work, so I had to go by myself. On top of that, they told me the wrong location of the ultrasound. By the time they figured out the mistake (45 minutes) and got me to the right place, the ultrasound tech had to squeeze me in between appointments because I was so "late". I had to wait another 75 minutes or so for her to work me in. On top of being worried I was now extremely mad at the carelessness of the person who scheduled my appointment and at the front desk for not figuring it out sooner so that I could have actually made it to my appointment on time, considering I'm always 15-20 minutes early everywhere I go so there still would have been time to make it to the originally scheduled ultrasound.

After two hours of waiting... The ultrasound tech is able to take me back. Thankful that she was even able to do so. I get all settled in to the room and she begins (I'm not able to see the screen). After about five minutes, five loooong minutes she says "Are you ready for this?" Of course I was, I'd been worrying for days... Just get the bad news (or so I had thought) over with. She turns the screen to me and she doesn't say a word. I see two babies side by side and I know what this means but somehow all I can say is "What is that?" I guess I just needed hearing it out loud. She says "That's two babies and two healthy heartbeats." 



As I let that set in (cried) she checked each heartbeat (cried some more), and sure enough two healthy heartbeats of about 140 beats/minute. She continued to check every possible thing she could check while I laid there and yeah you guessed it.. Cried. She would occasionally ask "Are you okay?" And my reply was "Yes, it's great news, just a lot to process!" She went on to tell me that this was only the second time she has ever gotten to tell someone they were having twins.. So I obviously had made her day. The only other thing I remember from the ultrasound was her asking me if I needed to stop so that I could call my husband. All I could think is how am I going to tell him and there is no way he's going to believe me (haha). 

After the ultrasound you have to go back to your doctor so they can analyze the ultrasound data. But, since of all the confusion I didn't get to see my doctor, I just had to see the doctor that had a chance to squeeze me in. And also there wasn't enough time for the doctor to receive the ultrasound images so I have to wait until my next OB appointment to talk with my doctor (October 11th, two 1/2 weeks later).  All she could tell me is that they each have their own placenta and their own sac and not likely that they are identical.  She said they call them "Dy Dy" twins. Which in my research afterwards.. I find out that means exactly what she said, two placentas two sacs two siblings sharing a uterus.







No comments:

Post a Comment