Tuesday, November 5, 2013

13 Week Ultrasound


Going into this ultrasound I did what any normal crazy person would do... Searched Google and YouTube for all the information on Levell II ultrasounds. What to expect. How big they would be. What they would look like. What the ultrasound tech looks for. And there is where all my worries started...

Even though I try (I really do) to stay away from anything but positive in my internet searches, I happened upon unstartling things. Of course I quickly hit that "x" in the corner of the browser window, it just isn't that easy in your brain to do the same. So of course what did I do, you ask? Worry! 

However I did come across some information that was very pleasent... At 13 weeks it is possible for the ultrasound tech to be 85% accurate in guessing the genders!! So of course, as much as I tried not to get my hopes up, or anyone else's, you just can't help it. So of course I began more Google searches to see if this is in fact a common thing this early. And from what I found it was kinda 50-50. Some ultrasound techs don't even feel comfortable making a guess. And some babies just aren't developed enough at the time to even make a guess. And of course other factors that affect being able to tell.

From then on I focused my attention on dreaming about the genders. What they would wear. What the nursery would look like. What their names would be. Etc. And focus less attention on my worry of all the potentially awful things they could find during the ultrasound.

Anyway enough of all that... Get down to the good stuff... The ultrasound.

Overall it went pretty well. They said as of  now everything looks "within normal range." The twins are fraternal. They are what they refer to as "dy-dy" twins, which basically means they each have their own  sac and each have their own placenta. The doctors had originally thought this. But this ultrasound was to confirm. It helps them to determine what level of care they would recommend for me from here on out. So with that news, for now, I get to see my regular OB doctor at regular intervals. Great news! 

The ultrasound tech was extremely nice she told us right away that she didn't mind telling us the genders if she could determine them. The ultrasound was quite long, maybe like 45 minutes. At the very end, after she had checked and measured everything, she began to check for gender. Baby B was quite calm and cooperated quite well. Baby A preferred to do head stands and flips, but eventually cooperated, for just long enough anyway.

Baby A 




Baby B



Even though the girls aren't quite sure what is going on, they love balloons!!! 

I will reveal the names and tell you more about trying to explain what's going on to the girls in a post soon. Sorry, the girls are in bed and this Mommy needs some sleep! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment